Tuesday, August 9, 2011

On Losing A Pet

For those of us who love our pets, there is almost nothing worse than putting them down. "Putting them down" is not one of my favorite euphemisms because as soon as they leave our plane of existence they are not down, they are soaring high above with the angels.

Years ago I had a pug named Buddha who I loved more than life itself. When it was time for me to let him go, I was heartbroken but I didn't want him to suffer, to keep him alive for my sake. I told a friend what was about to happen and she said, "Buddha will send you a sign that everything is ok.  It may not be right away, but be on the lookout for it." This was small comfort to me but I appreciated her insight. 

My son was kind enough to take an afternoon off from work so that he could be with me. The vet came to my apartment, and the deed was done. It is a very peaceful transaction and I was grateful that Buddha was in his beloved basket surrounded by his toys. 

We went for a ride.  It was a beautiful day and we parked by the ocean and talked.  Soon a car  parked facing us. We didn't pay much attention to it when suddenly a pug puppy poked his little head up on the dashboard and smiled.



We both looked at each other and said, "there is our sign! It's Buddha telling us that he is ok." Nothing will convince me otherwise, Buddha knew I was heartbroken and he wanted me to know that "it's all temporary."

No comments:

Post a Comment