Thursday, October 27, 2011

I Am Contented and Pleased

I have a simple, four-line prayer that I say often:

I am protected and safe
I am contented and pleased
My physical body holds me with ease
This day unfolds gently with grace



I am protected and safe: Because I have to feel safe in order to function well.

I am contented and pleased:  I would rather focus on being contented and pleased than on being happy. Happiness comes and goes at the drop of a hat, but contentment is longer lasting and feeling pleased is the utmost in contentment.

My physical body holds me with ease:  This covers all the health issues.  If I am able to go through my day with a minimum of aches and pains, these old bones are doing their job.

This day unfolds gently with grace: My favorite line and by far the most difficult. So many times during my day I will mishandle something, slight somebody, or simply blow it. The sledge-hammer approach is my usual mode of operation. When I do, I just glance upwards and say "well, that wasn't either gentle or graceful. Sorry, I'll try harder next time." 

No comments:

Post a Comment