Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Likeness

by Arthur Gregor

How can you live, how exist
without assurance of
or at lest the memory of
someone, something
fantastic, marvelous
always behind you,
a hand, grip on your shoulder,
a presence surrounding you
as a shell surrounds what lives inside?
Song closer to you than flutter of wings!
Word more antique than age!

Without it -- call it intimacy,
your intimate connection --
how do you stand vis-a-vis
the multiplicity of things,
a tree, fence, grass, person in your path?
Unless you find in them
that quality no one defines,
how do you love, what do you
whisper, what song
do you share in the dark?

Without it I am as someone
lost from his caravan,
a sandstorm whipping him,
someone out to find him on a frozen sea,
man alone on a waste of ice
imagining, as the vast and hazy
emptiness absorbs him,
a tattered though victorious
humanity coming toward him,
soldiers linking arms,
a populace with banners
singing and beating drums.

Without it
I am cut off.
I await its sound.
I ravage memory
for sight of it, its melody.
I shape with bare
and desperate hands
its likeness in myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment