Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Counterintuitive

I had dinner with some friends recently and the conversation turned to words - the use and abuse of the English language. We acknowledged that various words and phrases pop up in our culture. They seem to appear out of nowhere, and suddenly we see them everywhere.  It started with “counterintuitive.”  Out came the dictionary. Counterintuitive: contrary to intuition or to common-sense expectation (but often nevertheless true). It’s an adjective but most people use it as a noun.  I’m still not sure what it means.
I then came up with one of my favorite words: “juxtaposition.” To my way of thinking it’s a great word, it kind of rolls off the tongue: place or deal with close together for contrasting effect.  Juxtaposition is kind of sexy. Another word high on my list is "bereft." Bereft says it all to me: deprived of or lacking something, esp. a nonmaterial asset : her room was stark and bereft of color. • (of a person) lonely and abandoned, esp. through someone's death or departure.  Not a happy word, but nonetheless descriptive.
There are several words or phrases used almost every day that drive me crazy:
1) enjoy (when used alone, as in "You're going on vacation? Enjoy.")
2) prototype
3) gravitas
4) It is what it is. (Is it good or is it bad?)
5) It’s all good.  (No it isn’t, far from it.)                                      
                     and last but not least:
6) Have a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment