Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Synchronicity - "Godwinks"


Wikipedia says synchronicity is the experience of two or more events that are apparently causally unrelated or unlikely to occur together by chance and that are observed to occur together in a meaningful manner. It is similar to, but holds more meaning than a mere coincidence.  Some people call synchronicity “Godwinks.”
During periods of my life when I think about the concept, episodes of synchronicity seem to flow into my life on a regular basis.  Within the past week, the following happened:
  1. My swimming is progressing well, but in spite of the fact that my granddaughter, Carly, has patiently demonstrated the flip turn, I am fearful of actually doing one in the water.  I was thinking about this yesterday while swimming laps when who should begin to share my lane with me but a young girl about ten years old. She repeatedly swam a few yards, turned and practiced her flip turns over and over again.  After about 15 minutes I asked her if she would teach me, and she did!  My turns were simply awful, my butt wavered above water like a beached whale, but at least I did them. 

  1. Ten years ago I spent several months at a retreat center in the Sierras, owned and     operated by the followers of Paramahansa Yogananda. After returning to “my life,” the memory faded but lingered on to one degree or another.  A few weeks after moving to Waltham, a picked up a brochure blowing in the wind on the town green, and it described the BMG, The Boston Meditation Group for followers of Yogananda, and they met a block from my apartment.  I have been faithfully attending ever since.
  1. My doctor ordered several tests for me at Newton Wellesley Hospital.  I was walking Oskar early this morning pondering whether I should go to Newton Wellesley or maybe go to Mass General or Beth Israel, larger better known hospitals. I ran into a fellow early morning walker who mentioned to me that he was on his way to Newton Wellesley Hospital to see a client.  I asked him what he thought of NWH, and he said it’s the best, many doctors from the larger Boston hospitals practice there.  

  1. My favorite "Godwink" occurred several years ago when my son was ill and in an ICU at a hospital in Burlington, Vermont. We are not from Burlington so after spending several nights in a local hotel I asked the information desk at the hospital if there was any residence where I could stay and they said that there was a convent of retired nuns across from the hospital, and the nuns would be happy to put me up.  Those nuns were like angels, they offered me peace and a clean room and even breakfast!  I asked them what type of nuns they were and they said that they were The Sisters of Mercy.  For years, one of my favorite singers has been Leonard Cohen, and of all his songs, I love The Sisters of Mercy best.  What a sweet Godwink!
(Please note that I am having trouble with my numbering, and I cannot seem to fix it!  Oh well.)


It's All Temporary

No comments:

Post a Comment