Monday, February 27, 2012

The Academy Awards and The Dog Show

I did not watch The Academy Awards but I did watch The Red Carpet lead up with the ubiquitous Ryan Seacrest. My favorite "Red Carpet Crossing" was Miss Piggy and Kermit. While watching, the thought crossed my mind that it is appropriate that The Dog Show and The Academy Awards are on in the same month.





The similarities are striking. Replace a leash and a collar with an absurdly expensive dress designed to accentuate boobs and asses and they are indistinguishable -  but at least the dogs are not obsessed with displaying what would best remain unnoticed. We see the dogs' handlers.  We do not see the stars' handlers.  Otherwise known as stylists, publicists or agents, they are off screen. In both shows it's all about beauty but I prefer The Dog Show because the dogs manage to keep their dignity intact without making complete fools of themselves.

I came across a letter written in 1992, ten years ago. Unfortunately our culture has headed south since then but the words ring true. The letter has a strong Jungian flavor, one reason why I kept it:

"Entertainment Tonight," that aired Friday, September 18, 1992, was very disgusting. I am not a parent, sometimes I can't even imagine being one. What parents must be going through with their youth in these times.  I feel for our youth, they are being pulled in so many directions, many of them self-destructive.

The television show showcased youth receiving plastic surgery to look like their idols in the entertainment business.  If they could only realize that to change anything about themselves for the sake of melting into someone else's identity is a great loss.  There is something that all of us find wrong with ourselves.  The key is to find what is right, work hard and value your individuality.


Please remember, these people in the spotlight they have chosen to emulate have already realized their uniqueness.  The commercial world of entertainment is focused on beauty for financial gain.  They have the benefit of the best make-up, fashion (costumers) and publicists in the world.  They are made to project perfection.  Projection is not realization.

I couldn't have said it better myself.



It's All Temporary

No comments:

Post a Comment